DWIP UNNAYON SONGSTHA (DUS) is a voluntary organization has been based on the Hatiya Island under Noakhali district of Bangladesh. It was established during the turbulent period surrounding the birth of the country when it was racked by a series of disasters around 1970. DUS meant for Island Development Association has become its identity and stands for working for the poor and marginalized community. DUS mission contribute to stand beside three types of vulnerability of the poor. These are:
- The victims of our great liberation war in 1971
- The displaced poor families due to continual river bank erosion
- To those who were left un-cared & not fed in the event of economic hardship following liberation war.
During these periods, DUS arranged provision of food and shelter for thousands of vulnerable groups of people. In 90’s DUS has grown up in size, strengthened into a matured & professional organization that turned to an integral and highly respected part of coastal community. DUS is a popular development institution by dint of its ongoing challenging interventions and reputation for long presence in disaster response & mitigation throughout the coastal districts of Bangladesh. DUS has been explored as a potential and sound working NGO in the country contributing towards nation building ventures. In recent years, DUS has been prospering with almost all development endeavors in a wider range and extended area throughout the southeast coastal region of the country. Its operational area constitutes 3 districts namely Noakhali, Laksmipur and Bhola covering 82 unions of 7 Upazilla.
Vision of DUS:
DUS seeks a society where poverty will strike no one; people will enjoy social justice and economic freedom. DUS deserves to explore an equitable and gender balanced society, which could also uphold friendly environment and contribution for every human being to live with dignity and security.
Mission of DUS:
Coastal areas of Bangladesh are regularly stricken by natural disasters. Most of the people living here are almost poor. Due to regular natural disasters occurs here inhabitants are lacking asset and resources and they are deepened in illiterate, malnourished and culturally remain backward. DUS believes that optimizing utilization of hidden humane capacity & power and local resources intensively could gradually alleviate this condition. DUS perceives to bring down all this scope of development affords in an integrated manner so that sustainable livelihood ventures emerge in the community according to their aspiration.
The major objectives of DUS is to alleviate the range of poverty, enhance empowerment of the poor, establish human rights, promote essential health care and disaster risk reduction effectively and emancipate sustainable development endeavors.
DUS Core Values:
- Transparency and accountability
- Cost effective service delivery
- Efficiency and effectiveness
- Human potential development
- Sustainability all levels
- Governance & Accountability
DUS comprises of two structures in its organogram. These are – (a) General Body (b) Executive Committee.
- General body comprises of 30 members who are permanent resident of the coastal community. Amongst them 40% are women. They are the member of the local civil society.
- Executive Committee members are being elected by the general body members for a period of two years. Executive Director along with core teams are appointed by the board. The Executive committee is empowered as the legal authority for management of the organization.
source: DUSBANGLADESH, For further details visit the web portal.
other related posts: