The Sylhet Agricultural University was officially inaugurated on 02 November, 2006 following the issuance of an official recognition and notification by the Bangladeshi Government having fulfilled all the requirements of a university status. It was established to be referred to and known as the Sylhet Agricultural University by the Sylhet Agricultural University Act 2006 which was passed in the National Parliament on 03 October 2006.
The university’s Faculty of Veterinary and Animal Science came into being through the upgrading of the Sylhet Government Veterinary College (SGVC) as part of the new university. The SGVC was established in 1995 and had been functioning as a “School of Life Sciences” under the Shahjalal University of Science and Technology. Faculty of Veterinary & Animal Science (FVAS) of SAU is a dynamic and critically important faculty whose members are dedicated to preparing present and future veterinarians and veterinary scientists while advancing animal and human health, promoting the concept of one health and encouraging cross-disciplinary research.
To date, the Faculty of Veterinary and Animal Science has so far produced almost 900 graduates. These graduates have been playing vital roles in the development of livestock production systems, upgrading of health at the human-animal interface, provision of clinical services, classical and eco-epidemiology and enhancement of the agro-allied based economy. They are involved in various national and international services as well. Apart from the FVAS mentioned above, four other faculties are available in the University namely the Faculties of Fisheries; Agriculture; Agricultural Economics & Business Studies, and Agricultural Engineering & Technology.
These Faculties provide technical and scientific trainings to meet the manpower needs of the society and these represent key contributions of the SAU. The campus presently receiving large numbers of applications from prospective students and currently has a large population of students, researchers, faculties, post doctoral fellows and support staff which are keys in the meeting of the University’s objectives. SAU provides an exceptionally sound and interesting varieties of courses, covering different fields of agriculture and its allied disciplines at all levels of higher education. In addition, it offers a series of short courses and trainings to meet the middle-level manpower needs and several in-service trainings to meet the need of the industry; SAU indeed has a solution for everyone.
Central to the University objective is the improvement of the quality and standard of higher agricultural education and to produce first rate competent applied agriculturists to meet the need of agricultural development of the country. To achieve this objective, over 90 percent of the recurring budget and the university development fund come from the Government subventions through University Grants Commission (UGC).
Vision of the SAU:
Sylhet Agricultural University (SAU) , disclosing the potentiality as a leading international institution of higher learning of Agricultural perspectives in Bangladesh, strives to magnetize and nurture outstanding scholars in Home and from around the world through excellence and innovation in teaching and learning, research and knowledge exchange, contributing to the encroachment of society and the development of leaders through a global presence, regional significance and engagement with the rational activities to fill the demand of time.
Sylhet Agricultural University (SAU) will endeavor:
- To move on constantly the bounds of scholarship, edifice upon its opportunities and potency.
- To provide a comprehensive education, developing fully the intellectual and personal strengths of its students while upward and extending needful learning opportunities for the community.
- To generate graduates of distinction committed to lifelong learning, integrity and professionalism, capable of being responsive leaders and communicators in Agricultural fields.
- To develop a uncompetitive, pluralistic and supportive intellectual environment that inspires and attracts, retains and nurtures scholars, students and staff of the highest competence in a culture fostering creativity, learning and freedom of thought, inquiry and expression.
- To endow with a secure, healthy and sustainable workplace to support and advance teaching, learning and research at the University through innovative, high-impact and leading cutting – edge research within and across disciplines.
- To be fully liable for the effective management of public and private resources bestowed upon the institution and act in partnership with the community over the generation, and
- To serve as a central point of intellectual and academic echelon in Bangladesh and across the world and act as a gateway and forum for scholars for the benefits of our wider society through dissemination and application of Agricultural education.
Source: Sylhet Agriculture University. For further details please visit the web portal.
Other related posts:
Sher-E-Bangla Agriculture Univerisity