To produce skilled and competent veterinarians of international standard through the study of the combined courses (Veterinary and Animal Sciences) including internship, the government initially has established two veterinary colleges in Sylhet and Chittagong respectively in the year 1995-96 and later on established two more veterinary colleges in Dinajpur and Barishal. Chittagong Government Veterinary College (CGVC) started its journey on January, 1996 admitting 50 students in its first academic session under the faculty of Science, University of Chittagong.
Subsequently, being satisfied with the academic activities, nice environment and quality educational system, the University of Chittagong converted this college into an individual Faculty of Veterinary Medicine with the approval of the University Grants Commission of Bangladesh (UGC). There was no agriculture-related university in the entire Chittagong Division.
Realizing this importance, the elite society, educationists, politicians of different party, journalists, professionals and people from all walk of life of greater Chittagong came to a platform to raise a big demand and initiated a movement for the establishment of a Veterinary University in Chittagong. This movement was headed by the late eminent social worker and the chairman of “The Purbakone Ltd.” Alhaj Md. Yousuf Chowdhury and the Veterinary University Establishment Movement Committee, which was formed under his leadership. Leaders from all level and general people of Chittagong highly demanded to establish a Veterinary University.
As a result, the then honorable Prime Minister ordered to take necessary action to develop the CGVC into a Veterinary University on 19 July 2005 through the letter (no. 51, 17, 03000007, 204,234) from Prime Minister Office. The honorable Prime Minister of the Country had opened the Chittagong Veterinary University on February 02, 2006 which was a glorious achievement in the history of veterinary education and profession in the country.
The Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (CVASU) is established by the Act of the Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh on 07 August, 2006 in order to confer 5 (five) years’ Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree and Higher degrees on various other subjects/ courses/ fields and to enhance research and development in the field of Veterinary and Animal Sciences. In its initial phase of development two new faculties namely, Faculty of Food Science and Technology and Faculty of Fisheries were planned to open within 5 years of its university inception.
Mission and Vision of the University:
- The University will develop its distinctive national and international roles.
- It will strive for excellence in its undergraduate, postgraduate teaching, research and scholarship.
- To pursue commitment to the health, production, welfare as resources of human food and animal products.
- The university will provide first opinion, referral, specialist and advisory veterinary and animal husbandry services.
- It will also provide underpinning food science to consumers, policy makers and the food industry.
- To be the premier University in Bangladesh and among the top five in Asia.
- To provide enlightened, innovative and scientifically-based curricula.
- To provide postgraduate courses, diplomas or certificate of attendance.
- To undertake quality research.
- To provide high quality clinical, diagnostic and advisory services.
- To develop and adopt technology and knowledge.
- To become Research and Development partner of Animal, Fisheries and Food Industries.
- To develop international standard curricula and laboratories.
- To develop close collaboration with industries and to undertake consultancy projects.
- To establish academic and research links with other universities / institutions / organizations both in and out of Bangladesh.
Poultry Research and Training Centre – PRTC:
The Poultry Research and Training Centre (PRTC) have been established on 11 March 2008 with the financial support from Agricultural Sector Programme Support (ASPS) II of Danida at the Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (CVASU) campus, within the legal framework of the university Act 2006 (Act XXX of 2006). PRTC is an autonomous institution, in accordance with the provision of the university Act July 16, Sunday, 2006. Its aim and objective is to become a leading centre in Bangladesh for capacity building in the livestock sector through:
- Short term training.
- Enhancing research.
- Enhancing communication and collaboration between private and public stakeholders.
PRTC is responsible to a Board of Governors regarding policies, strategic planning, annual work plans and budgeting. The board is constituted of 15 members with members from CVASU, research institutions, extension agencies, poultry industries and NGOs. Vice-Chancellor, CVASU is the chairman and Director, PRTC is the member-secretary of the board.
PRTC training courses:
- Training courses will be offered on
- Poultry health management.
- Poultry disease diagnosis.
- Poultry nutrition.
- Poultry production and management.
- Poultry hatchery management.
- Disease prevention strategies in semi-scavenging, semi-commercial and industrial production units.
- Marketing and sales, and other specific subjects identified by the user groups.
- The courses will be tailor made practical oriented designed according to the needs and experience of participants.
- The courses will be based on learning by doing set-up in the PRTC training rooms and CVASU laboratories combined with:
- Visits to farms
- Veterinary clinics
- Feed mills
- Field disease investigation laboratories under DLS
- PRTC has a plan to offer short-term post-graduate training courses not offered by the departments of CVASU
- Courses will be offered in either Bengali or English, depending on the customer’s language skills
Source: CVASU. For further details please visit the web portal.
Thanks a lot.
Other related posts: