Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU) is the premier seat of higher agricultural education and research in the country. The University was established as the nation’s only University of its kind in session 1961-62 on the basis of recommendations made by the Commission of National Education and the Food and Agriculture Commission in 1959. The Scheme for the establishment of BAU was finalized on 8 June 1961 and its ordinance was promulgated on 18 August 1961. With the appointment of its first Vice-Chancellor, the university formally came into existence on 2 September 1961 and started functioning with the College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry (CVSAH) at Mymensingh as its nucleus.
Mission and Vision of BAU:
The missions of university have been to develop the art and science of agriculture for the well being of mankind, and to educate agriculturists of high standards of scientific, managerial and professional competence in harmony with the environment, and to share knowledge and skills with world partners. Scholastic activities of Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU), covers all the domains of agricultural sciences having direct bearing on terrestrial and aquatic productivity. The main task of the university is to tone up the quality and standard of higher agricultural education and to produce first-rate agriculturists, agricultural scientists and researchers for shouldering the responsibilities of agricultural development of the country. It is a residential university mandated for offering for higher education and research in agriculture and all of its branches including conduct of examinations, conferment of degrees and granting affiliation.
To achieve the objectives over 90 percent of the recurring budget and the entire development fund come from the government through University Grants Commission (UGC). BAU has been the principal supplier of skilled human capital for modernizing our national agriculture since its establishment in 1961. And yet it has a long way to go ahead. It is our vision to make this University an integrated institution with functional relationships with relevant government organizations, non-government organizations, and private sector firms enabling BAU to contribute meaningfully to agricultural development of Bangladesh. We want to be guided by three watchwords relevance, quality and internationalization to respond to the call of a fast-changing world system.
- To provide higher learning in all branches of agricultural sciences as a profession-based education.
- To conduct basic and applied research in various aspects of agricultural problems faced by farmers, change-agents and agro-industrialists with a view to recommending possible measures for solving them.
- To organize and supervise extension and related nation-building activities at different levels and in different forms.
- To provide training for personnel of different government and non-government organizations and also for farmers and farm-leaders on various aspects of agriculture and rural development.
- To provide facilities for bilateral and multilateral cooperation and collaboration with institutes or organizations within and outside Bangladesh.
The Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU) at a Glance:
- Established: 18 August 1961
- Site and Location: The University campus is situated at the western side of the old Brahmaputra river covering an area of 1200 acre, 3 kilometers away south of Mymensingh town.
- No. of Faculties: 6
- No. of Departments: 43
- Faculty of Veterinary Science : Departments – 8
- Faculty of Agriculture : Departments – 16
- Faculty of Animal Husbandry: Departments – 5
- Faculty of Agricultural Economics & Rural Sociology : Departments – 5
- Faculty of Agricultural Engineering & Technology : Departments -5
- Faculty of Fisheries : Departments – 5
- No. of Teachers: 549
- No. of Halls Residence: 12 (Male-9, Female-3)
- Major Farms: 10
- Central Library: No of total collections of Books is around 1,83,500, (37,932 volume with banded publications), Total Titles 2,123, Current Journals -103, Online Journal : INASP-PERG, AGORA, HINARI OARE, including all journal of BANGLAJOL.
- No. of Passed-out Graduates: 36,833
- Bachelor’s Degree-23,378, M.S.-13,068, Ph.D.- 387
- Current student’s enrolment: 5284
- Affiliated College: Sheikh Fazilatunnesa Mujib Fisheries College, Melandah, Jamalpur.
- Research: 210 on-going Research Projects under Bangladesh Agricultural University Research System (BAURES).
- Extension: There are 40 Associations of Mymensingh sadar with 3 Associations of Trishal and Gouripur upazila where agricultural extension and village development activities are being carried out by the (BAUEC) Besides, Vegetables Cultivation Schemes are going on 10 Primary school, High schools, Madrashas & Orphanages under Mymensingh sadar, Trishal, Gouripur and Phulpur Thanas. 48 ideal houses habe been selected to introduce Farm Management in Agricultural Development. As many as 10,005 farmers have so far attended 36 training programs arranged by BAUEC.
- Trainings: Graduate Training Institute (GTI) offered 898 pre-service and in-service training courses including 14 international training programs & 55 workshops. A total of 20,027 people were trained including foundation training of University teachers & Officer.
Extra Curricular Activities:
- Co-Curricular and socio-cultural programs are being conducted at Teacher-Student Centre & Shilpacharya Zainul Abedin Auditorium under the guidance of Students Affairs Division.
- Different games and sports are being conducted by the Department of Physical Education.
- Activities of Central Students’ Union (BAUCSU) are taken care of by this division and
- This division also supervises various co-curricular & extra-curricular activities of different Hall Students’ Unions, Rover Scouts and BNCC.
- Public Relations and Publications Office: To uphold the image of BAU Provides Media Information in mass communication, journalism, publication and photography.
source: Web portal of Bangladesh Agriculture University. For further information please visit the web portal.
other related posts: