Cotton Development Board (CDB), Bangladesh has been implementing two programs for development of Research, Seed production and Cotton Extension under the revenue budget. CDB has prepared and submitted a development project for strengthening of Cotton Research activities to the Government of Bangladesh for approval. Activities of Cotton Development Board are implemented mainly by the manpower under revive budget.
All the information’s in this post taken from the official portal of CDB. If you want to know further details about CDB, please visit the official portal of the Cotton Development Board of Bangladesh.
Brief description of the Programs and Projects of CDB are as follows:
Cotton Development Board is implementing a program titled “Cotton Research, Seed Production and Extension Program” under revenue budget to support research, production of breeder seed, foundation seed and certified seed, training, demonstration and other field activities of Upland Cotton.
Title of the Program: Cotton Research, Seed Production and Extension Program (Revised)
Implementation Period: Date of commencement – July 2009 and Date of Completion – June 2011
Estimated project cost (In lac taka): BD Tk. 308.00
Objectives of the Program:
- To evolve modern varieties and technologies for increasing cotton production through strengthening the regular research activities of CDB
- To develop and modernize the research and training centers and other related facilities of CDB with modern equipments and technologies.
- To produce Breeder and Foundation seed of improved varieties at CDB’s Farm.
- To produce truthfully labeled seed through contact or block farmers and to train contact or block farmers and general cotton farmers.
- To develop the skill of officers and staffs of Cotton Development Board (CDB) through training.
- To motivate the farmers to produce more cotton in the country and to strengthen extension activities.
- To procure and process of seed cotton for ensuring fair price of seed cotton produced by the farmers.
- To popularize IPM activities for reducing the use of Pesticide and cost of production.
- To conduct survey for identifying new areas of cotton cultivation in the country.
- To encourage private sector for marketing, ginning and use of cotton By-products in various fields.
- To organize the farmers ensuring fair price of seed cotton and proper use of inputs through cotton growers association.
In order to develop the research capability of CDB a project titled “Strengthening Research Activities of Cotton Development Board” has been submitted to the Government for approval.
Title of the Project: Strengthening Research Activities of Cotton Development Board
Implementation Period: Date of commencement – 1st July 2010 and Date of Completion – 30th June 2015.
Estimated project cost (In lac Taka): BD Tk. 1950.00
Overall Objective of the Project: To increase research capacity of Cotton Development Board.
- To conduct research for developing modern production technology of cotton in Bangladesh.
- To develop open pollinated short duration and high yielding varieties of cotton.
- To develop hybrid and Bt. cotton varieties.
- To construct laboratory rooms and develop laboratory facilities in the research farms / centers of Cotton Development Board.
- To build green houses at Sripur and Mahiganj (inside Bangladesh) farms for conducting research in controlled environment and other facilities.
- To establish a gene bank at Mahiganj farm for preserving cotton germplasms.
- To establish a library in each research farms or centers and Head office of CDB at Khamarbari, Dhaka.
- To construct boundary wall around the research farms or centers for protection.
- To facilitate technology generation and transfer through participatory research at farmers level.
- To develop knowledge and skills of officers / staffs of CDB and cotton farmers through training, seminars, workshop, study tour, exchange visit, higher studies etc.
Thanks a lot for reading this post:
read other related posts: